Thursday, April 05, 2007

Inaugural Address

In light of being accepted for an exchange program at Humboldt University in Berlin next year, I've decided to start this so that those who are near and dear can keep tabs on what I'm up to. Or, it'll possibly be easier than mass emails that attempt to contain lots of pictures as I travel Europe.

A few words on my title: I feel that I don't really like staying in any place too long, and U of T has proved to be far from an exception. I'm thrilled that I'm getting a break from Toronto next year. I've certainly gotten a lot out of going to school in Canada, something that I will never deny, but I will be glad to graduate. Then again, I would be glad to graduate from anywhere. As the years have gone on, I've realized that typical schooling doesn't really agree with me. I'm quick to lose motivation if I don't like the task at hand, and at a rigorous school like my high school or U of T, that carries a lot of consequences. So when I get down on the idea of post-secondary schooling, I remind myself of my one goal: to join the Peace Corps. I hope to get sent to Central Asia (the 'stans), where I will start my NGO career. My interest in Central Asia started with an assignment to be the delegation from Uzbekistan for Model UN one year. Thus, when I'm tired of studying economics, I really start longing for the cotton field of Uzbekistan.

No comments: