Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back in da 'Burgh

I am back in Pittsburgh, or, to be more specific, Mt Lebanon, for the summer, and it's quite different. I feel that this can perhaps be summed up by one feeling: an odd sense of relief whenever I see Asian people. Going from U of T, which is either half Asian or just seems like it, to all-white Mt Lebanon, is a change. Naturally, then, I feel right at home when walking past the CMU campus.
I'm also on a campaign to become a supercool commuter cyclist since I'm not able to do the same in Toronto (the parents won't let me take my bike, but I don't really need it anyway). I have biked uptown (Mt Lebo) twice, gotten weird looks all the way, and loved it! Finally, my dreams of being a well-dressed girl on a bike who doesn't sweat have been realized.
I've found a job: selling Pittsburgh Post-Gazette subscriptions. It's not glamorous, as my dad was quick to remind me, but by looking at the commission chart, it seems like hard work can really equal hefty earnings. Perfect for the various trips to Ljubljana and Tunis I've been planning. I was in the PPG building the other day, and I couldn't help feeling like a true Pittsburgher because I'm working for them. The best part of the job, though, will be spending lots of time in the city. Pittsburgh's great, always vibrant, and I have often wished I spent more time downtown. Now, hopefully, I will be manning a kiosk in the Strip every Saturday morning! Note that I haven't started work yet, which has led to my overly-romanticized view.
I am going to Oakland, home of the universities, soon, and would like to take some pictures and post again.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

If The Sartorialist comes to Pittsburgh, I'm sure he'll be happy to snap a photo of such a beautiful looking woman on her bike!